Are you struggling with a substance-related disorder? It might be a good idea to visit an addiction specialist. There might be a special discount or promotion in your area, contact your local hospital to find out.
What is an addiction specialist?
These are medical doctors that specialize in the treatment, diagnosis, and prevention of substance-related disorders and also with addiction disorders. These disorders are directly related to the brain’s reward system. The reward system is activated when there are feelings of pleasure are introduced to the system. There would be many drugs that can cause the body to have intense feelings of pleasure, and the addiction to these drugs is what would cause a person to come to need an addiction specialist.
This classification of medicine is now considered to be an official medical sub-specialty. The drugs that fall under this bracket of medicine would have different classifications.
- Alcohol. Alcohol addiction is a disease that affects both men and women. An addiction specialist will be able to help a person with alcohol addiction cope with their situation.
- Caffeine. The addiction to coffee and other caffeine-based products can also be treated by an addiction specialist. Many people are addicted to caffeine and it can harm the body.
- Cannabis. Although marijuana is only considered to be a gateway drug, many people become addicted to it.
- Hallucinogens. Examples of these drugs are LSD and phencyclidine, and as their classification suggests, they can cause intense hallucinations when they are taken.
- Inhalants. Some people are addicted to inhaling the scent of certain glues or other household items such as paint thinner. These would trigger the feeling of pleasure in the patient addicted to these items.
- Opioids. Examples of opioids are fentanyl, morphine, oxycodone.
- Sedatives. These would cause respiratory depression in patients. Hypnotics and anxiolytics also belong to this classification.
- Stimulants. Amphetamine and cocaine belong to this classification.
- Tobacco. Cigarettes are not as harmful (at least not right away) compared to the other drugs on this list, but they are still highly addictive and would also require the treatment of an addiction doctor.
- Others. Anything else that was not mentioned here but has addictive qualities would also be treatable by a specialist. Drugs that would fall under this category would be medicines like anabolic steroids.
If you think that you are suffering from an addiction and you would want to get rid of it, consult your doctor. If they are not specialized in addiction treatment, they would at least be able to point you in the direction of a doctor who is. An addiction specialist will never pass any judgment toward you for coming forward and getting treatment. Anybody willing to get help for an addiction problem should be commended.
Remember that the first step to removing your addiction would be to admit that you are addicted to them. Going to the doctor and getting treatment would be the next step. An addiction specialist would be able to guide you in the right direction to get well.