Some of the people who have become addicted to drugs or alcohol can still manage to recover from it. However, it can be a hard process to work it out completely. The whole body can change the chemistry of the body. Exercise and addiction recovery, can they work out together? Before anything else, try working out with a treadmill, for a change in your exercise routines.
A person needs a significant amount of willpower, commitment and discipline to recover from addiction. The recovery will also depend on how much effort the person is willing to do so in the process.
On the positive side, new relationships are built with the people who share the same condition. Additionally, the loved ones (either family or friends) are there in full support with the recovery. Treatment programs are available to help with the recovery.
These treatment programs are unique for every individual’s needs and situations. They can customize these programs to meet the target recovery of the individual. They should ensure that the individual will be active in every activity inside the program.
Options to take for addiction recovery
- Inpatient rehab: In this option, the patients reside in a substance-free facility. Medical staffs provide the right medical care and therapeutic support that the patients need. Usually, the individuals who stay inside the rehab facility are those under chronic addiction.
- Outpatient rehab: It is another type of comprehensive addiction care. The patients receive the same kinds of treatments and therapies as to those under inpatient rehabs. However, in the case of outpatient rehab, the patients can live at home while under the recovery process. They will just have to attend their scheduled treatment sessions.
- Drug and alcohol detox: Detoxification is the process to safely withdraw an individual from the drugs or alcohol present in their body system. This process will continue until drugs or alcohol is no longer in their system.
- Sober living homes: It serves as the residential bridge between the inpatient rehab and the return to normal life. In this option, the patients will be able to strengthen their new healthy habits while staying in a structured environment.
- Addiction treatment medications: There are medications available for the patients subject for addiction recovery. Doctors prescribe these medications to manage withdrawal symptoms, to reduce cravings to the addictive materials, or to treat the co-occurring disorders.
- Faith-based treatment: Some individuals need a more spiritual approach during their addiction recovery. This type of rehab option revolves with programs focusing on faith.
Exercise as an option for addiction recovery
Some patients require other coping mechanisms aside from the treatment programs available. In this case, exercise can be a great option to consider for those who want to recover for many reasons. They might find something interesting in doing an exercise routine to quickly recover from addiction.
A regular exercise, together with other forms of treatment, can take effect in addiction recovery. It can take effect in neurobiological and behavioural outcomes of the physical activities inclined in exercising.
Benefits of exercise for addiction recovery
We have stated some of the benefits that an individual can get during the recovery process from addiction.
- Improved sleep: Exercise can lead an individual to have a better sleep. Having regular sleep will help the individual to rest well. As a result, the individual’s overall quality of life will improve as well.
- Exercise is an option to make you feel better: With the use of exercising, different chemicals are released inside the brain. These chemicals help an individual to feel better. These chemicals are endorphins, serotonin, and dopamine, which exercise can release.
- Promotes healing: Doing a regular exercise helps improve cardiovascular health, boosts immunes system as well as improves the mental health. Through exercise, the risk of having illnesses decreases.
- Working out is the best way to stay busy: To keep the patient’s attention focused, exercise is a good option. This way, the patient won’t be distracted from the recovery process.
- Provides structure: Maintaining a regular workout routine also develops healthy habits.
- Best option to reduce stress: Working out the stress through exercise is beneficial. Not only it will reduce stress but also keeps the body in a healthy condition.
- Improved self-confidence: A regular exercise improves the confidence of an individual. It makes them feel better about themselves.
- Meet new friends: Being able to join fitness activities in a gym allows an individual to meet new people, which will enhance the recovery process.
Exercise and addiction recovery
In this case, we can say that exercise can potentially treat addiction. It has its benefits that directly and indirectly addresses addiction and works effectively during the recovery process. With continuous help and guidance, an individual can successfully recover from addiction. With strength training exercises, cardio and relaxation one can benefit even addiction is not an issue.
Aside from that, it would be best to keep the individual acquainted so that they will not have the opportunity to return to addiction. Sometimes, people become addicted out of stress, pressure and lack of support system through life’s challenges.
People in this condition tend to think of addiction as their escape plan to their current situation. The situations that are unbearable for them or have just made them reach their limits. Without a support system from loved ones or friends, it is usually the cause of diverting attention through addiction.
Generally speaking, some people cannot handle challenges in a light way. In this case, they have to know of ways to divert their attention healthily. Here, exercise is the key! Click on this link to browse exercise equipment that can help you.